Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Welcome to Me


Who am I?



I am a registered dietitian, mother, wife and student.  Currently I am juggling caring for my family, household duties, work, and my Master's thesis.  Most importantly, I am trying to feed my family right

I decided to start blogging:
To apply my knowledge of nutrition
with my trials and triumphs of feeding my family...
In an effort to help others learn to eat right.  

Background Info:

Food has been my whole life. 

A majority of memories as a childhood revolve around food.  

I remember helping my mom all day long prep Thanksgiving dinner.  Now Thanksgiving dinner is my holiday!

In the summer I lived with my dad, some of my fondest memories are wearing an apron in the kitchen while picking parsley leaves or walking to the farmer’s market to buy fresh fruit, veggies and herbs.  

For years I teased my grandmother for planning meals days, weeks, and even months in advance.  Now, I do the same thing and I love it!  
Although my life had always revolved around food, I had never thought about having a career involving food or nutrition.  It wasn’t until I took a class at the local community college and the instructor asked me if I had ever considered a career in dietetics (nutrition).  The next semester, I started taking a nutrition class and knew I was destined to be a dietitian.  I spent the next 5 years dedicated to becoming a dietitian.  

Now, I am proud to say I am a registered dietitian!!

Educational moment:

What is a registered dietitian?  A registered dietitian is your nutrition health professional.  To become a registered dietitian, you have to complete a bachelor’s degree in dietetics and nutrition at an accredited school, then complete an internship (aka supervised practice), and then pass the certification exam.  Once you become a dietitian, you need to continue your education to maintain your registration.  

But then what about a nutritionist?  A dietitian may use the title nutritionist, but not all nutritionist are dietitians.  The definition of nutritionist varies from state to state, and not all states regulate the requirements for the title of nutritionist (in California anyone can use the title nutritionist, so be careful).  A nutritionist may or may not have the educational background, supervised practice, certification exam, or required continuing education that is required of a dietitian.  Be cautious when you see this title used.  Make sure they are also a registered dietitian.  


No comments:

Post a Comment